As I mentioned in previous posts about the implications of a tick and the follow-up to that post about having to go off enbrel to take antibiotics, I am still going through the motions of lyme’s and mono. I finished up my antibiotics and was very anxious to get back on enbrel because of my increasingly painful back and si joint flare-ups. Unfortunately, when I called my Rheumy for his approval, I did not get the response I planned on. He told me that because the antibiotics are all gone, I need to now wait a couple more weeks until I restart Enbrel to make sure I don’t have any continued symptoms. Blah. I am not excited about waiting longer.
The nambumetone seems to not help as much as it had been previously- perhaps because I am not combo-ing it with Enbrel. My back pain in the mornings has gotten worse and lasts longer than before. The one thing that I did notice is that when I went to the gym the other day, I arrived in pain. I wasn’t sure if I could work out let alone jog. I decided to push through it anyway because I need to get some jogging in in light of the Feb half marathon in California. I hurt to begin with but as I kept going, I realized that my SI pain got better. It eventually came back a while after the gym, but while I was at the gym, I felt good! Guess I’ll keep exercising!
In light of everything that has happened I’m not sure if I’ll be able to run the entire half marathon in Feb, but I can at least do a run/walk. At first when I came to the realization that running the entire thing was probably not going to happen, I was sad. I felt like I let myself down. But now, I am ok with it and I know that I can work hard to get in a good run/walk and then I’ll be ready to take on the next half marathon and run the whole thing. Besides, I made it to the gym 3 times this week and I biked a total of 30 miles and run-walked about 4. That combined with some long walks outside and I’ll take it.
So, it looks like I’ll be calling the doctor to see what I should be doing in the meantime while I’m waiting to go back on Enbrel… perhaps he can suggest a stronger anti-inflammatory than nambumetone (750mg horse pills). For now, I’m going to go enjoy the beautiful day!